Morning Musically-Minded, Medically-Minded, Masticators!
(Today’s post is sponsored by the letter “M”)
Over the past 600+ episodes, The Simpsons has taken us on an amazing journey involving music, science, and food to name a few concepts.
And what better way to start your week, then by discussing some of these concepts Monday morning?
So let’s get started this week by discussing another recipe, french fries.
In the third episode of The Simpsons, Homer’s Odyssey (Season 01, Episode 03), Homer is fired from his job as technical supervisor at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. Unable to provide for his family, Marge steps up and goes back to her old job as a roller skating waitress:
We see a clip of Otto shouting for customer service.
Otto: “Hey mama, where my fries?”
But have you ever wondered how do you make french fries?
So from the Food Network Canada, here is a recipe for “French Fries”:
- 3 L vegetable or peanut oil, heated to 165°C/325°F
- 3 Prince Edward Island potatoes, cut into wedges
- Sea salt
1. Put cut potatoes into a large bowl of cold water while oil preheats.
2. Drain the potatoes well and carefully place in the hot oil.
3. Blanch the potatoes until the bubbling ceases, about 3 minutes. They will be soft and have no colour.
4. Drain well on paper towels.
5. Increase the heat of the oil to 180°C/365°F.
6. Fry the potatoes until they are deep golden brown and crispy.
7. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sea salt.
Now that we know how to make french fries, be sure to come back next week when we continue our Monday morning musings.
What’s your favourite Simpsons french fries reference/image/scene? Have you ever made your own french fries? Will you try the recipe above? Sound off in the comments below. You know we love hearing from you.