Morning Musically-Minded, Medically-Minded, Masticators!
(Today’s post is sponsored by the letter “M”)
Over the past 600+ episodes, The Simpsons has taken us on an amazing journey involving music, science, and food to name a few concepts.
And what better way to start your week, then by discussing some of these concepts Monday morning?
So let’s get started this week by discussing another recipe from the thirteenth episode of The Simpsons, lobster.
In the thirteenth episode of The Simpsons, Some Enchanted Evening (Season 01, Episode 13), Homer and Marge go out together, after Marge calls Dr. Marvin Monroe on the radio and tells all listeners that she feels Homer takes her for granted.
At the restaurant, Homer checks out the lobster tank and chooses the one floating upside-down at the top.
But have you ever wondered how do you make lobster?
So here from the Food Network Canada is a recipe for “Classic Lobster with Light Lemon Chive Dipping Sauce”:
- 4 1 ½ lb(s) live lobster
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Light Lemon Chive Dipping sauce
Light Lemon Chive Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 4 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 4 tsp chopped fresh green onion
- 1 Tbsp lemon, juice
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, chopped
1. Fill large deep pot with enough salted water (1 tbsp/15 mL salt per 4 cups/1 L water) to completely cover lobsters; bring to full rolling boil over high heat.
2. Grasp back of each lobster; plunge headfirst into water.
3. Cover and return to boil.
4. Start cooking time when water boils; reduce to bubbly simmer.
5. Cook each lobster for 10 minutes for first pound (500 g) and 1 minute for each additional 4 ounces (125 g) or until lobster is bright red and small leg comes away easily when twisted and pulled.
6. Remove meat from lobster, discarding shells and setting meat aside or dipping into butter to eat as you proceed.
7. First, twist off claws at joint at body; separate into claw and arm sections.
8. Break off smaller part of claw and remove meat with lobster pick or nut pick.
9. Using lobster cracker or nutcracker, crack larger part of claw at widest part; lift out meat.
10. Crack arm; pick out meat.
11. Separate tail piece from body by twisting apart.
12. Bend tail backward and break off flippers; pick out meat from flippers.
13. Using kitchen shears or steak knife, cut through shell along underside of tail to expose meat.
14. With fingers or fork, pry meat from shell.
15. Remove and discard intestinal vein (if any).
16. Holding legs and inner section of body pull off back shell.
17. Remove and eat red coral (if any) and green tomalley (liver).
18. Insert thumbs in inner body and pry apart to separate half lengthwise; extract any meat.
19. Break off legs; suck out juice and meat.
Light Lemon Chive Dipping Sauce
1. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl.
2. Makes 3/4 cup (175 mL).
Now that we know how to make lobster, be sure to come back next week when we continue our Monday morning musings with the next episode of The Simpsons from season 2.
What’s your favourite Simpsons lobster reference/image/scene? Have you ever made your own lobster dish? Will you try the recipe above? Sound off in the comments below. You know we love hearing from you.
All looks like too much bother for me, I’ll stick to frozen fish 😂
Weird was literally and seriously watching this episode during lockdown today. While I was Multitasking this post an a meeting on zoom lol
What are the Lobster odds
P.s Safi how about some Simpsons recipes we could make with something on hand/mashup. Everyone is turning into what’s left chef lol
My father loves to tell the tale of how one year while on vacation in Maine I got a job working for the local Harbormaster. He agreed to pay me in lobster!
WAY too much water! All you need is about 1.5 inches of water in the pot and salt (I just pour; actually sea water would be best), bring to a boil.
Remove the elastic bands (cut them) and place in pot. Steam (cook) for 20 minutes and enjoy hot
If you want to check for doneness, turn lobster over and pull the body she’ll out. If the soft tissue is all white, good. If it is still dark, undercooked for whatever reason. Cook some more.