Let’s just start by saying that my “welcome back” to TSTO Addicts was a little rocky (as in having an effigy of me thrown down the 500 foot cliffs of Dover onto the rocks). I deserved your mistrust…as those who knew the history, knew that I was a complete jerk to Alissa while I was a “competitor” after starting out as a contributor here. It is a long story…and thankfully, as has been stated several times, we both buried that hatchet (because Riley told us to), and life has been pretty darn sweet every since.
But, there was that lingering doubt by many (and stated publicly on occasion) that I was going to “ruin the site” by “writing about things other than TSTO” and trying to “guilt trip” people into donating to our work in Uganda. Again…I get it…I was the interloper, and the outsider, who was darn lucky to be here at all.
But, with the tacit support of Alissa, I ventured once again into trying to help Addicts be “more than just a TSTO info site” while doing something that mattered in the world. And I quite frankly, was scared to death that it would unravel all of the work I had done to prove that I had indeed seen the error of my ways…and was grateful for Alissa’s support.
As it turns out…this community not only blew my mind…but broke all of the fundraising records for any project in regard to funds raised in the shortest time. And even more amazing, the comments of support you sent were simply overwhelming.
Don’t believe me? Take a look at these…
This is just a sampling of some of the comments left on GoFundMe. Most of the donors wanted to be anonymous, so I am not publishing names…
- From your tsto addicts friend. Thank you for you kind, caring and life giving work
- Water is life – let’s get this going.
- You are right – TSTO addicts can be more. This work you do is important and I fully support you.
- Sorry I cannot give more at this time, but I also know that small donations add up, and I wish you success with your campaign. Hopefully other TSTO Addicts also donate to this worthwhile cause. Everyone in the world has the ability to make a difference…thank you for being one of them!! Take care and have a lovely day! : )
- I always want to give to the wonderful people at TSTOaddicts. So I am so happy that I can give to this wonderful charity. Thank you for pulling us together Pat.
- Grateful there are people such as you making the world where those in need actually receive that help. Well done Patric! PS: nice to spend money on something of actual value versus donuts
- Good luck and God bless!
- Saw your post on TSTO Addicts. Wish I could give more – good luck and thanks for your work on this.
- Wish it could be more. Thanks for all you do to make the World and Addicts a better place (even if you still don’t appreciate the Patriots).
- Keep doing great things!
- What a great project, Patric. I’m happy to give up some donuts to support your cause.
- With all the crazy happening right now I cherish this opportunity to do something useful
- Let’s build it!!
- NO Donuts for me!!
- Hey Patric! Longtime lurker on TSTO Addicts and this is the first time I’ve ever felt the need to interact. The world needs more folks like you. Nice job, man, and THANK YOU!
- Keep up the good work.
- Loved your work on TSTOFriends. Like it even more on Addicts. Keep up your great work, both with the game and more importantly, life. Glad I can contribute to a worthy cause.
- Better late than never!
- I’m glad to see how well the project is going. Keep up the great work!
And then of course, there were loads of wonderful comments on the actual Post Here on Addicts… (JosephineKicka$$’s comment made me cry…seriously!).
To say that I was shocked…humbled…and more than a little remorseful at having doubted the caring hearts here on Addicts, would be an understatement. Deb found me sitting on the couch…tears streaming through a crazy smile, when we hit the goal–in the shortest time in the history of our work in Buyijja. These goals often take weeks…and weeks…with LOADS of cajoling.
This. Was. AMAZING!
NOW THE FUN STARTS…
You will all be witness to just how fast and efficient our methods are, when it comes to “getting things done!”
I wired the money to Emma (Emmanuel, or project manager) Thursday (after the 2-3 days it takes to get the money to our account from GoFundMe)…it will take 3-7 days for it to hit the FriendsOfBuyijja bank account (good old Uganda banking). He will order the tank, and set up the installation…and we should have a completed, operational water tank/rain collection system in place well before the end of May…if not sooner.
Compare this to every other donation you have ever made (short of helping someone on the street with $20). This is exactly WHY we do, What we do, and How we do it. All of the money is put into action immediately…we will watch the process happen (yes, I’ll post pics and video), and you will get to see your donations in action.
In a world where some forms of diplomacy come with a price tag that is in the millions/billions/trillions with mixed results…this is a chance to create real change, in a manner and timetable that is even more efficient that sending people and supplies to Uganda (if you have ever tried to get something through their version of government/customs you know what I am talking about).
This place continues to amaze me. A worldwide community, brought together by a silly ‘lil game…with people who understand the power of “Being More!”
I am forever changed by this event…and simply can’t begin to thank you all enough for your support.
For those of you who “missed out on the fun,” we are starting our next round of funding for school supplies and books (our core mission to the children of the school). You can find information at www.FriendsOfBuyijja.com
You. Guys. ROCK!!