What’s up my friends? Probably should have added the words “to find” at the end of the title but oh well, you’ll see where I’m going with this post.
Wookiee back with another edition of Silly Simpsons inspired by reader Lorennac. In the Open Thread on the Sunday before St. Paddy’s day, she mentioned the “true” location of Springfield and how she was happy Matt Groening had finally revealed its location as Springfield, Oregon. Here’s the article with Smithsonian Magazine she’s referencing.
Had you seen this? Well, Matt Groening later recanted the location.
Make up your mind Matt! j/k Also cool to note that Simpsons showrunner Mike Scully (Seasons 9-12) is from West Springfield, Massachusetts. I think it is funny that folks really want Springfield to be in their state so I was curious and actually looked up all the Springfields in the United States. Knowing that most folks don’t want to read a long list, I also made a little graphic showing all the Springfields. Below the image is the list for anyone so inclined (special props to Wikipedia and Oogle who made this nerdiness possible)
- Springfield, Alabama
- Springfield, Arkansas
- Springfield, California, an unincorporated community, formerly a Gold Rush Boomtown
- Springfield, Colorado
- Springfield, Florida
- Springfield, Georgia
- Springfield, Idaho
- Springfield, Illinois, the state capital of Illinois
- Springfield, Indiana, an unincorporated community
- Springfield, Kansas, a ghost town in Seward County
- Springfield, Kentucky
- Springfield, Louisiana
- Springfield, Maine
- Springfield, Massachusetts, the first Springfield settled in America
- Springfield, Michigan, a city in Calhoun County
- Springfield, Minnesota, in Brown County Motto: We have a lot to share!
- Springfield, Missouri, the most populous Springfield in the United States
- Springfield, Nebraska
- Springfield, New Hampshire
- Springfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey
- Springfield Township, Union County, New Jersey
- Springfield, New York
- Springfield, Ohio
- Springfield, Oregon
- Springfield Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Erie County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Mercer County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield Township, York County, Pennsylvania
- Springfield, South Carolina
- Springfield, South Dakota
- Springfield, Tennessee
- Springfield, Texas, Jim Wells County
- Springfield, Limestone County, Texas, former town and county seat, now part of Fort Parker State Park
- Springfield, Vermont
- Springfield, Virginia
- Springfield, West Virginia
- Springfield, Dane County, Wisconsin
- Springfield, Jackson County, Wisconsin
- Springfield, Marquette County, Wisconsin
- Springfield, St. Croix County, Wisconsin
- Springfield, Walworth County, Wisconsin
Wowza… that’s a lot of Springfields! It has to be noted that the Homers cover the area where the town would be but that this map is not exact. Any errors are entirely the authors fault. In fact, there’s one complete error on the map. If you can point it out to me, I will write about whatever you want or make a 2D, your choice. Even with the one minor error, I like the map and hope you do too. Just glad it didn’t turn out like this one.
Anyone else find it silly that that Pennsylvania has 9 Springfield Townships, Wisconsin has 5 Springfields and New Jersey has two Springfield Townships? I have to think that there are some really confusing “away” games for some high schools lol.
I think we all know that Springfield is really just Anytown, USA. I think this is summed up nicely by the chalkboard gag in “Beware My Cheating Bart” (S23:E18).
Also pretty cool that I found out there are Springfields in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
Any thoughts on all this? We all know Springfield has crazy geography. Its two area codes are shared with Missouri (636) and Puerto Rico (939). No matter what, it is a perfect place for the Best. Show. Ever. to take place and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Y’all stay classy as usual.
TTFN… Wookiee out!